Saturday, June 16, 2012

Baby Steps!!

Please click to enlarge
I went out with the Dana Hills kids this morning for our third session this week.  It came to the point it was easier to demonstrate than to explain, so I did some little take offs without incident - thankfully.  I also just got a message and a photo from My friend Phil Bisson of Kirk Bentz's winning jump today at the Southern California Masters Championships at 12' 6" (3.81m).  My gut feeling is that I absolutely would have gotten injured had I went so I'm glad I passed.  I learned a couple of years ago when I drove three hours to the San Marcos River Vault that spectating was not for me.  Sure I like to go watch a good meet but not when I'm hurt.  It reminds me of watching World Indoors in 2010 in Canada.  I'm glad my friends did well but it sucked for me.

Yesterday I went to watch the new movie, "Rock of Ages" with Tom Cruise.  Except for that whole "musical aspect", Tom Cruise was outstanding.  Here he is singing Def Leppard's "Pour Some Sugar on Me" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuxdZqZ3egE

A word about my music.  I have heard a few times that my varied music tastes don't seem like something I would listen to.  My response is that I coach kids and some of their music appeals to me as far as beat and drive.  All I know is that when I'm grinding through a tough workout I'm not dialing up the Carpenters or John Denver.  Admittedly when I go to look for the video for a song that drove me that day, I'm sometimes a little shocked by the video.  My only connection is that when I was suffering and wanted to quit, they got me through.  Have a great day and thanks for following my journey!  Bubba

PS - Late Add - Today I finally have arrived.  After 14 years at UC Irvine and 9 years at The Wooldands High School, today I finally got a bathroom key to a stadium where I coach. Old guy thing.  ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment