Sunday, December 20, 2009

Back to the Gym

It felt good to get back to work in the gym today. It's funny how a workout helps you recover faster than rest does. When I woke up this morning I didn't feel too bad so that's a good sign. Since I have a meet in two weeks I'll only have two practice jump days along with all of my other components. That should be enough for what I'm trying to accomplish technically.

Had I put yesterday's 12' 6" jump on the pole I jumped 13' 1/4" on yesterday I would have boomed over 13' 4", so that's the only focus - better technique on bigger poles. For my practice purposes, a "big" pole is a small pole where I run from a stride or two closer. Looking forward to it.

As far as goals right now, they are only technical as that will produce the heights. For example, if in Belton I make 12' 6" (3.81m) I would go to 4.01m (13' 1 3/4"). If I don't make it my result will only show 12' 6". I'm OK with that as it is more important to make myself hit the right technical positions. When you try to jump high for that sole purpose, it rarely works because you tend to forget what got you there. Perfecting technical issues nearly always pays off. If I do that then 13' 6" (4.12m) is a realistic new baseline. If I put my 12' 6" jump from yesterday on the biggest pole I used yesterday, I'm over 14' (4.27m). So the heights will come when the technique does. Gotta be patient.

Have a great Sunday and thanks for being here. Bubba

PS - to briefly explain all of the focus on technique to the non-vaulters. Pole vaulters tend to cover up mistakes by moving up to a bigger pole that throws you harder. The problem is that you risk injury trying to always jump on big poles and your technique actually becomes even more sloppy. Jumping on a smaller pole from a stride or two closer makes it "feel" big. You also can't run as fast from the closer run so you are more dependent upon proper technique to move the pole forward enough to complete the jump. With the shorter run you can also take more vaults and accelerate the learning curve.

No comments:

Post a Comment