Friday, April 9, 2010

Not So Fast

It's easy at this point to start planning when I will hit my bigger poles but the reality is that I'm technically too rusty to do this. I physically feel safe to progress but I want to get the most out of each pole technically until it proves too small. That said, yesterday was frustrating as I was finessing poles an not getting in as far as I wanted but then moved up a pole and blew through. My long time friend Dean Starkey (19' 5"/5.92m) used to tell me that when he got stood up or rejected by a pole he would skip a pole and move up two poles in order to assure he would be more aggressive. I think that year he had 11 meets over 19' (5.80m). Simon Arkell (Australia 19' 1") used to tell me to go ahead and blow through the pole first and then move up. His point was that too often we were wasting jumps trying to make a small pole work or by skipping to a bigger pole too soon. I think I need a little of both of these insights.

In any case Sunday is my short rest rotation so I'm guessing that day will be on 4m/13' 1" poles and Thursday, on full rest, will be on 4.30m/14' 1" poles. The trick is to get two jump days a week without risking injury while completing all other training components. I'm feeling like this will be a reality as of Sunday. One more full week of training next week and then I will back off for the Brazos Valley Senior Games. I'll take my 4.45m/14' 7" poles but my guess is I will stay on big 14' 1" poles and try to get to the longer ones at the San Marcos River Vault on 6/5 or maybe even Waterloo on 5/22. We'll see.

The goal is to hit a big jump at the River Vault or Quintana Beach Vault. At that point I will decide about outdoor nationals in Sacramento in July. Having lived in Southern California for 24 years and traveling the state to meets I've been to that facility a million times including the 200o Olympic Trials and the 2005 National Junior Olympics. Nancy and I are going on an Alaskan cruise the day after the meet but that doesn't really affect my plans. I know this sounds dumb but if I skip nationals it will be so I can get a jump on next year's grinding training. MANY good vaulters move into my age group and worlds are at Sacramento so I need to get ready. A physical and technical overhaul will take me about eight months so I'd rather start early. Still, I'll play it by ear. If Don is healthy and wants to go I'm sure I will go too.

Have a wonderful day and thanks for being here. Bubba

No comments:

Post a Comment