Monday, September 20, 2010

Lifting With Purpose

I always try to train with purpose for each and every component, but I really notice a heightened awareness as I approach my first meet since indoor nationals at the end of March. Again let me state that this is a fun little meet, nothing of giant importance, but yet still an opportunity to jump in a competition. So today's lifting was very good. Even on the worst days I grind through, but at least now I have something immediate to look forward to.

All lifts are up to the higher level benchmarks so the objective Saturday will be to get to my upper pole/run benchmarks back to reality. That means the game plan is business a usual as far as starting poles, and run progressions. I'm looking forward to that more than anything.

The next goal will be to come back and get some high level training sessions in from 8 steps until I'm consistent at 13' (3.97m) from there. Then I'll move to 10 steps until I have consistent jumps at 13' 6" (4.12m), etc. It's not going to happen overnight but my body will then get conditioned to more and longer run jumps. The key will be to keep the poles very small until I am completely warmed up.

All of this explanation is because that is why I have decided to start jumping from 10 steps like a regular meet. Because getting on my bigger poles will make my smaller 14' 1" (4.30m) poles feel small in practice and that's what I need to start progressing with them. This is the fastest and safest way to make that happen. If I'm lucky I'll even get to my first 14' 7" (4.45m) pole. Have a great day and thanks for your support! Bubba

No comments:

Post a Comment