Saturday, August 13, 2011

Another Decent Jump Day

When I first turned on my mp3 at 7 AM to warm up to vault, Van Halen's, "Jump" was on - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlq0lYB3iSM  Of course that is always a good start. 

Speaking of my start, I began on the 4m/16.3 from 4 steps and easily made 10' (3.05m) with a huge perfectly timed jump.  What a rush to finally feel that again.  Unfortunately it was the last time I would feel that for a bit.  Both 10' 6" (3.20m) and 11' (3.35m) were easy makes but sub par technical jumps that felt WAY off.

Even though I felt pretty good I knew I wasn't going to move the 15.9 from 4 steps so I went to 6 steps.  Of course in two jumps I blew through both the 15.9 and 15.5 because I finally hit my hands right.  Moved up to the 15.0 and boomed 11' 6" (3.51m).  Still at 6 steps (33' / 10m) I went to the 14.7 and had a big jump at 12' (3.66m) but came down on the bar.  I felt myself trying to run too hard so I stopped.  The purpose right now is to take lots of relaxed rhythmical jumps, not to force runs or poles.  Maybe next time.

My benchmark for decent jumping is 12' from 6 steps and I was close.  I have made 12' 6" (3.81m) from there and had OK jumps at 13' (3.97m) but I'm not at that point right now.  Overall I'm very happy to already have five vaulting practices under my belt since Nationals two weeks ago.  That is four more practices than I had from November to Nationals.  It feels frustrating to be so inconsistent and missing my jump since I was so dialed in just a year ago.  But it's going to come back to me and it's great to be jumping.

Have a wonderful day and thanks for your support!  Bubba

No comments:

Post a Comment