Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Dates for the Big Meets

I found out at the end of the day yesterday that I will compete in the National Senior Games in Houston on Monday June 21. I also learned that I will be jumping at World Masters Championships on Wednesday, July 13. Good news with three weeks apart. THEN I have until July 30 for outdoor nationals, so another 2.5 week break. Very nice to have a little spread between three huge meets of that caliber.

Picked up my new poles yesterday. Kris had sent them down with our M50 masters vaulter, Gary Scheffe, after a meet in Austin on Sunday. Got them cut and taped. As you know they come with these little markings and etchings that represent the size and flex numbers. Being a fossil of failing vision, I color code my poles so that I can tell by looking at the color of tape where it fits in the order of stiffness. Hard to read 18.1, from 18.5 from 17.8 in tiny writing. Blue is first place (stiffest pole), red is 2nd, etc., so I have a system.

Another thing I do is "top" my poles, which means I cut the top off. I figure they are mine, I paid for them and no one else will use them, so why not? I'm using a 14' 7" (4.45m) pole but only gripping 13' 3" (4.05m) on the smaller ones, and don't want the end to hit the bar and knock it off, so I cut the top to just above my grip. For maximum pole speed and momentum, I jump with my uprights all of the way back (32" - 80cm), so many times my pole follows me into the pit. If it hits the bar and knocks it off it is a miss. Mine go under the bar because the box is 8" (20cm) deep.

I did not lift arms and shoulders today because I feel a little too beat up and want a productive jump day on Thursday. Gotta pick your battles and this is an unnecessary risk so I just did a long stretch.

Have a great day and thanks again! Bubba

No comments:

Post a Comment