Friday, June 17, 2011

Progress Report - Right Now!!

Click to enlarge

I always like to do a pre-meet photo because I feel like if I have done my job it will be near the best shape I have been in for awhile.  I could get hit by a car and never train again so it's a good "progress report".  I took some in Sydney but every one of them was blurred by a flash so I took this one this morning without it.

SO, I'm on week 56 of this year's training so far.  This ends after nationals in Cleveland on 7/29.  I turn 58 next Friday and some days I feel it much more than others.  Thus far this year I have lifted 3,815,966 lbs. and done 2,358 weighted bar exercises.  But the only question that matters is CAN I POLE VAULT?!

Today's song is Van Halen's, "Right Now" because that is the abruptness of a big meet performance.  All of the planning and training and visualizing for that day is suddenly and emphatically RIGHT NOW!!  There are no second chances; it's NOW!!

If you followed by blog leading up to Sydney you now that a vaulter's biggest fear is the "no height" (nh).  Kirk and I emailed back and forth a few times last night and he said what all vaulters say before big meets, "I'm second guessing everything I'm doing and thinking. I just want to make a bar and then have some fun."  An "nh" means you did not clear your opening height on your three allotted attempts.  Our biggest fear.  I have done it once.  Let's not start on Monday.  Like me, Kirk has won a world championship yet we still have the same fear; nh.  After that first bar it's a party.

That's it for today. Thanks for being here.  Getting nervous and loving it.  Bubba
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkxB6PqQsoY

No comments:

Post a Comment