Friday, May 13, 2011

Felt Like Dog Crap!!

Yep - I went ahead and tried to vaut again today on one day less rest, and right after lunch when it was hot, and I was so full of iced tea I felt like a water balloon?  WHY? I know from experience that at my age that vaulting three days out of six I will not feel good.  In fact, I decided that waiting a day wouldn't make enough difference to matter so I went ahead to try and jump today.  Not only did I try to jump, I tried to do so on my big meet poles - 4.45m/14' 7" poles.  Dumb?  Could have been.  Got lucky!

From my two step take off I felt crippled but my grip got up pretty high and my first step was back almost a foot.  Huh?  Except for the feeling like crap part, I was able to move the pole and even get a decent bend from my six step run. That mark was also back a foot which is another good sign, a result of the hard training I've done.  From eight steps I was able to grip my meet grip that I usually use from 10 steps so that was also a nice surprise.  All of this good news is filtered by the fact that I cannot remember a time that my legs have felt this dead and I still tried to jump.  SO, I got on the big poles, with no injuries, feeling like a slow dead fat ass slug.  Again, WHY?

I'm out of town on Tuesday/Wednesday next week and Tuesday is my running day.  So ideally I would like to do my running on Monday but I don't think that would be smart if I waited until Saturday to vault.  So since I would feel bad anyway I might as well go today so that I can run Monday.

On the surface it sounds like a bad day but I'm really encouraged because my run was back and I was moving my meet poles even though I felt like I had been hit by a truck.  Add to that, I escaped injury, whereas a day like today is a ripe opportunity to get hurt. 

NOW - if you're only running six or eight steps and your run is back over 1' (30cm) then I AM faster.  That simple.  I'm a foot back and felt like crap so that's even better.  I also intentionally wanted to jump heavy so I would have to do things better.  Long story short, too late, I'll be ready for my meets on 5/28 and 6/4 and will not jump until then.  Back to the gym, run, and bars grind with the confidence that I AM at the next physical level.  Have a great day and thanks for your support.  Bubba

No comments:

Post a Comment