Monday, November 9, 2009

FINAL Training Program Posted

On Friday I posted what I thought was my final routine but between then and now I have had a chance to actually do all of the components in the order planned. So I juggled some stuff and also added a few things back in that I had taken out. In any case, this is it - http://www.bubbapv.com/Pages/CurrentTraining.htm

I didn't feel very strong today though the soreness has subsided some. My next meet is 12/19 so I see no reason to start rushing ahead. I like to get the most out of each phase during the ramp up. For example, I feel I could easily start from a longer run on my smallest 14' pole on Thursday, but I don't think my technique is clean enough to jump right into that. I don't want to use a bigger pole just to make a height. I want to get the most out of every pole technically before I move up. That thinking really paid off getting ready for Sydney. My guess is that 2-3 weeks from now I will be ready to have a long run day and a short run day. For now I'll just ramp up to that point.

You may notice that I have now broken my lifting into "Conditioning" and "Strength" whereas it was "Lower" and "Upper". I did this because Dan John says if it is important it should be done nearly every day. I was dropping some exercises because it was too much to do on one day so now it is split. I also left the 3X8 and 3X5 set/rep configurations because I didn't like it. I went back to 8,6,4 one day and 6,4,2 on the next strength day. This is more fun so I'm more likely to do it well. Dumb but that's life. I don't want to set myself up to fail because I know I don't like a component I'm going to be living with. Don't get me wrong, I HATE certain exercises but I need them and try to get better at them. Some I end up liking. I have no problem with that, but at least I get to pick the set/rep configuration.

A couple of times this last year I felt pretty out of shape and commented that it takes about four weeks to get back into decent vault shape if I've had a break. I am considering this week one so that timing works out about right. I have to keep telling myself that I was on a huge grind getting ready for Sydney and that served as my off season training. That said, I have never been in this good of shape at this time of year. After a couple of weeks I'll feel like a decent vaulter again. Right now I feel like an out of shape slug trying to survive my workouts. Have a great day! Bubba

No comments:

Post a Comment