Sunday, September 19, 2010

Better Than Expected

I felt pretty good in warm up so I started on one pole bigger than I was going to; the 4m (13' 1")/176/14.7. Made 11' (3.35m) and 12' (3.66m) on first attempts from 6 steps (33'/10m). Moved to the 14.3 and made it again but it felt too small. Skipped my biggest 4m pole, a carbon 13.5 and went into the shed and got out my smallest 14' 1" (4.30m) pole and moved my run back to 8 steps/44'. Made 12' by a long way and had big height on 12' 6" (3.81m) twice before stopping as a precaution.

The poles and my vaults felt good but I was very careful with my runway speed still. The sled has really helped considering I was at 42' 6" at Kris' while trying to run hard, and at 44' today trying to go real easy. That would put me at 45' on a normal day which is good. Covering more ground with the same running motion and the same number of steps means you're faster. I'll take that.

At the meet next week I'll probably run from 10 steps rather than four so I don't get caught forcing my run. The meet series record for M55 is 12' 6" (3.81m) which I jumped in November of 2008, so I'd like to try and advance that. Also, four weeks after this meet is the Texas Senior Games where I have the State Record for M55 at 13' 1/4" (3.97m) and I'd like to be in a position to beat that. SO, I'll go from 10 instead of 8 steps at this meet and plan on being at 12 steps next month at TSG.

All and all I'm on track and my body feels good. Knock on wood - LOUDLY!! Thanks for being here. Bubba

No comments:

Post a Comment