Sunday, January 5, 2014

Revelations!!

I've come to realize that there are some benefits to last years struggle to move decent sized poles and grips with my lower weight.  Applying those same, "whatever it takes" efficiencies when I was 5-6 lbs. lighter, have begun to pay dividends now that I am regaining weight and strength.  How so?

Today I pulled out the poles I jumped well on last year, including the 4.30m/14'1"/16.1 pole I vaulted 3.99m/13'1" on.  I noticed that I am gripping a full hand (3"+) higher than I was last year on a pole that is lighter.  In fact all of my grips are already 3-4" higher than last year.  How does this happen?

First, normally when I lose weight my grip goes up and I am able to use bigger poles.  But as my friend from Great Britain, Allan Williams told me, you hit a point where that goes in reverse.  You can't grip high or use big poles anymore at all.  I had NO IDEA this would happen when I decided to lose 10 lbs. in order to move from a 13' to a 14' vault. 

The good news is that my grip is already up and I'm also starting to move some bigger poles.  My current wake up weight is 165, whereas for the summer meets it was 158.  My normal "best vault weight" is 168-171, so I can only hope this continues to improve.  Have a great day and thanks for your support!  Bubba

Van Halen - "Aftershock" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkFqLQWy5fA

No comments:

Post a Comment