Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Getting Settled in a Program

The first couple of weeks of the new training program can be a struggle if you let it. I just accept that all things won't work as planned and adjustments will be needed. The hardest thing to accept at first is that you won't be able to do the entire scheduled workout. I've only completed one workout as I have had to delete parts of the others. I'm just not fit enough to do all of the components yet.

I say all of this because most people will bail out on a training plan if it doesn't feel right. My message is to take a few weeks and modify it so it does feel right. Remember that impatience is a sign that you have no confidence in your plan. I MUST look forward to my daily training in order for it to be effective. When you have done a complete component overhaul like I have, I'm not comfortable with much of it but I'm already starting to like it. I figure by the end of this week I'll be settled in and within 2-3 three weeks I'll even start adding things here and there.

Speaking of adding and subtracting, I try each year to do only what is essential to my success. I have worked with a lot of elite athletes who have all types of nonsensical routines that have very little impact on their performance. Why? They have the time and feel like they should be doing SOMETHING. In reality I feel that takes away from the focus of the goal – to perform your event better. Once that feels comfortable as a routine I'll little by little start adding things in that I consider an extra edge.

So the purpose of this post is that right now I'm going through organized confusion. It's like cleaning out your garage or closet. You're going to keep things, throw things out, rearrange things etc. But in the end you will have a program that you look forward to doing that is specific yet fun. To me that is the key to constant improvement. As my "blur" comes into "focus" I will start to progress to the next level. I'll keep you posted with the exact program as it evolves. All the best! Bubba

No comments:

Post a Comment