Monday, December 20, 2010


I knew it the night before I jumped but what are you going to do? They still have the meet and the results page doesn't say that you were weak and sick. I battled through it but I paid the price with this raging cold. Slept most of the day yesterday and feel maybe 20% better today. I sure expected to feel better than that by now.

I was going to stretch this morning just to shake off the meet but have decided that rolling around on a mat on my cold garage is probably not a wise decision so I'll pass. The plan right now is to go out Wednesday and warm up and see if I feel like vaulting. If not I'll just resume normal training and wait until me meet on January 1.

Looking back, the pole I was coming up a little short on at 13' was too small for me two weeks before, so like it or not, I guess I was weaker from the cold. Dang it! I thought I had blocked that out.

Looking at the video I can see I'm right on the edge of a breakthrough. I hate jumping under 13' and how will I get to 14' if I'm having this issue? Well, it's all in the timing. The answer is jumping on the poles one stride closer. Now that I know how they all feel that will be my mission. That's exactly how I made my last breakthrough when I got to 14' 1" (4.30m) poles. We will see how it goes but I'm real optimistic that if I can jump on Wednesday I will close the gap between where I am and where I am going. How?

Technically, I need to put more solid and dynamic pressure on my hands earlier. Next, I need to force my hands forward while NOT breaking at the hips is order to make the pole roll away. That is a one practice fix and once I have it, I can call on it any time. What I have done is depended more on a longer run and my speed, which I needed to incorporate anyway. Getting the best of both worlds will happen soon.

Thanks for being here and have a great day! Bubba

No comments:

Post a Comment