Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Pre Meet Challenge?

Today I did a little shake out and stretch before I vault tomorrow.  I've scaled back by practice goals leading up to Ft. Collins because I don't want to step over the line on my almost 100% groin.  The way these types of injuries work, is that you approach the point where you think you can almost feel it, and then stop.  If you do that it gets better every time you go out.  If not you cross the line and your healing timer starts over at zero. 

Tomorrow will be two days short of three weeks.  I got three jumps in the last time so maybe five this time.  Then try the same on Sunday.  After that I come out the following Thursday and that will be my last vaulting before the meet.  That gives me 2.5 weeks of hard sled and lifting legs without worrying about dings from vaulting.

What I haven't said is that I plan to stay on my 12'4"/3.75m poles for all of these sessions.  I think if I try to jump on them one stride closer it will resemble what a big pole feels like, but with less chance of injury. I've abandoned the idea of a session on my 13'1"/4m and another on my 13'7"/4.15m for this more conservative plan.

So how does it work to practice on 12'4" poles and then go to a meet on the same 14'1"s I haven't used since Reno?  Two years ago at Reno I had only jumped from three 3 lefts/6 steps in practice and had not tried higher than 12'.  At Reno I jumped 13' on 14'7"/4.45m poles from 6/12.  So I guess I will be alright; I hope.  Have a great day and thanks for being here!  Bubba

Guns & Roses - "Sweet Child O Mine", Axl Rose's tribute to former girlfriend, Erin Everly, daughter of Don Everly of the Everly brothers - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1w7OgIMMRc4

No comments:

Post a Comment