Wednesday, August 23, 2017

More Running!

More Running!
Image result for another brick in the wall
Like everyone, I dream I can't run.  And then I wake up and realize what a struggle it is to run well as we age.  I try and model my stretching and other components after masters sprinters who are still really good.  TODAY, I felt fast.  Doesn't mean I will tomorrow, but today I felt fast, FINALLY.

What I noticed was that with a sled and/or ankle weights, I could run fast, but after the acceleration phase, I couldn't hold my running form together.  I could run hard this way but not necessarily fast, and once I hit speed, I fell apart.

I decided to commit the first 14 weeks of this year to learning to run again with no weights or sled.  It's been really weird because I get up to speed now and I seem to be gaining some sense of running and stride control.  Sure, if I go out too fast I fall apart a bit but not like it was before.  If I run rhythmical, and gain speed under control, I can get up to about 85-90%, like this morning.

To make this more interesting, school started yesterday so my running starts at 6 AM in relative darkness and I finish right about the time the ant farm of the kids hit the campus.  Not exactly optimal time for speed work but it's my only slot.

This is only week three of 14 but I'm very encouraged that I'm having some definitive learning and improvement.  A year from now when I'm getting ready for worlds, this ongoing effort should produce significant level changes.  One step at a time and another brick in the wall.  Have a great evening!  Bubba

Just Another Day - Oingo Boingo - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Y0lLwLxVX8

No comments:

Post a Comment