Wednesday, August 30, 2017

The Long & Winding Road!

The Long & Winding Road!
Image result for long and winding road
You feel good, you feel bad, you feel fast, you're suddenly "hurt" without an event.  Weirdest thing in the world.  I'm running this morning and I feel pretty fast.  Good so far.

Careful not to push it because I have the Masters Pole Vault Symposium in 10 days, I'm shocked when on my 2nd 40m stride, I suddenly feel like my right hamstring is about to cramp.  I spent the rest of the session at 40-50% in protection mode, after comfortably running 70-85% over the last few practices.  No clue where this came from and if it's even anything to worry about.

I'll see how I feel on Sunday's running, but right now I don't think I should vault at the symposium. I'm gaining so much momentum that I hate to risk a setback for something that really doesn't matter.  Stay tuned.  Thanks for checking in on me.  Bubba

On my last post I said I would share the last song I heard before I walked on the the field for World Masters in South Africa in 1997. That meet was a huge challenge because I had strained my hamstring just 22 days before the competition.  Strangely, I pulled it again during the meet on my first jump clearance at 4m/13' 1 1/2".  It popped right when I left the ground but I cleared the bar.

Somehow that jump hung on for the bronze medal, my first world championship medal.  Twelve years later in 2009 I won the World Masters Games with the same height, then a meet record by 1'/30cm, which still stands today, 8 years later.

The song was Van Halen's, "Aftershock", played here on the John Stewart Show in 1995 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZkWJnI9kcs

No comments:

Post a Comment