Sunday, August 20, 2017

Running Man!

Running Man!
Image result for running man text
I'm learning a lot about my running from this current program.  As I said, for the past three years, except for on the runway, I haven't run a step without ankle weights, sleds or hills, or some combination of these.  

I have done this because I need to be able to cover more ground on the runway.  I tend to have good turnover, so my issue with hamstrings has come when I'm all turnover and no ground cover. 

As we age we lose strength and flexibility.  Getting stronger is great for ground cover, and I work daily o flexibility.  Genetics determines your turnover but you have to keep it sharp. So it would seem I had the right combinations and you can't really argue with the performance success at a highest level of competition.  But if I'm going to offset age, I need to try some other things.

What I have found is that even though I "push" to cover ground with these other techniques, when I get up to speed my body instinctively starts braking.  So when I get on the runway I feel I have a limiter because I'm not used to running open past the "push" point.

Today is day one of my two days per week that I run.  I do 3 X 40m hills, then these 9-12 "sprints" - http://www.bubbapv.com/Pages/speed.htm, followed by 3 X 40m hills again.

Running with no ankle weights or sleds has really made me focus on running well.  Each repetition I'm past the drive phase and forced to "open up" my stride where pushing is no longer the focus.  This is very tricky so I don't step over my abilities and get hurt.

The goal on all runs is to run rhythmical.  Speed means nothing if it's not rhythmical, and speed will come if your rhythmical. So my first hill may be at 20-30% but that's a perfectly timed stride within the day's ability that won't hurt me.  On the sprints I get up to spots where I'm 80% with a great open stride.  It's very difficult to remain open and not start braking after the drive phase, but I'm getting better at it.

I remember when Tom Tellez was talking to the elites in Reno, he showed video of then WR sprinter, Leroy Burrell's five years old son running.  He was demonstrating that the natural pattern is not to push off or reach out, but was to strike the foot straight under you as you gain speed.  This action "spins the wheel" of the strides rotation.

My guess is that I may do all 14 weeks like this with no weights or resistance until I learn how to run again. The next 14 weeks I'll go with 1.5 lb. weights and the next one with 2.5s.  If I have time for another 14 weeks I'll do a step down where I do one of the three sets at 2.5, the next at 1.5 and the last with no weight.  

What surprises me is that after these types of short sprints, when I hit the last 3 X 40m hills, I feel weak and low, like I'm running in quicksand.  I really think these ending hills will keep the good part of those mechanics in place because as I can run near 100% on them.  Thanks for hanging gout and indulging this explanation!

Another Supergroup, Black Country Communion with legendary guitarist, Joe Bonamassa, former Deep Purple singer and bassist, Glen Hughes, and Jason Bonham, son of Led Zeppelin drummer, John Bonham - "The Great Divide" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocgO6iSiU3g.

No comments:

Post a Comment