Friday, March 18, 2011

Back to Routine

I'm very much a creature of habit and hate getting off track. I say that but it seems I'm always making adjustments. Still, I would rather know I have a schedule to train by and now I seem to be back on it. My little car business trip took me 627 miles so running in the afternoon after that hardly seemed "normal". Yesterday's gym and today's garage felt very good; like I'm getting back in the swing of things.

This morning I went over 12,000 bar drills since I started back on January 1, 2005. Sometime next week I will cross over 18 million pounds lifted. Like I say, you have to just keep showing up. The days you do something add up just like the days you don't. I remember in college if I missed a class it was hard to go back, and if I missed two I felt like I would be arrested if I showed up. Same with training; you miss a day or two and it's hard to get back. But with all of this bitching I only actually missed one day, Monday. It happens but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

I think it was Tuesday that I got a note that the National Senior Games are 91 days away. Since that is the first of my big three meets this summer that put things in perspective for me - I have only three months to get myself to yet another level. Doesn't leave much time for missed sessions.

Levels are funny because you can figure out as you go about what it takes to get to the next one. The question then becomes, will my body take it? I was emailing a friend yesterday about my Facebook account only being for training and vaulters. I figure there are old folks who are elite sprinters, weightlifters, triathletes, fitness competitors, bodybuilders, etc. I have "friended" all of these in an effort to learn more about how I can become better. I guess you do have to leave "home" to go to school. It's interesting to see and hear how each of these factions look at their training. It enlightens me as to how to look at my own.

My first year back (2005) after the two Achilles surgeries, and three years off, I got 3rd at nationals in the M50 at 11' 6" in Honolulu with a massive tailwind. Two weeks ago I got 4th at 13' in the M55. My point is that everyone is stepping up so I had better do so as well. I've closed the gap but I'm not there. BUT, that's what makes it fun. As hard and grinding as it can be, the whole journey and process IS fun.

Thanks for being here and have a great day! Bubba

No comments:

Post a Comment