Saturday, March 5, 2011

Morning of the Meet

The facility - click to enlarge

Got my luck penny & ready to go!

I got in yesterday, had lunch and went to the track to pick up my package and find my poles. Everything went smooth as expected. Laid low at the hotel all day and never got around to getting online as I just used my phone for email. That's when I remembered I hadn't posted anything here. Sorry. I pretty much go into hiding before a meet in order to block out all of the noise. Not really trying to get focused as much as empty my mind. Usually it works.

Got up this morning and had breakfast when they opened at 7. I'm at the back up hotel, the Embassy Suites, which is very nice. Since I didn't enter this meet until after Reno the main hotel was all booked. I'm fine as I like this one.

The WMA LOC (World Masters Athletics - Local Organizing Committee) is here to promote worlds in Sacramento so I had a nice visit with them. Looking forward to that meet but today is the preview of the Americans of course. We will see how it goes.

The funny thing about big meets and resting your body is that you never know how you feel until you warm up. When you don't train, everything that ever hurt will hurt. It's like oil to the Tin Man on the Wizard of Oz. Get moving and things should feel better but I was really tight on my stretch yesterday. In Sydney I felt like absolute CRAP during the running and sprint drill portion on my warm up and when I hit the runway I was suddenly very fresh and loose. I had no idea I would feel good at Reno either as I felt terrible striding down the hall. Today I haven't tried anything yet. I'll get a bath with some music and then get out and stretch but even that won't tell me how I will feel. That is a mystery always reserved for when you hit the runway. Hoping for the best.

I'll head over about 10:30 MST and I jump at 1. I think the M60-69 goes before me so I'd like to see a little of that. After I jump my local teammate Matt Kowalski jumps so we will video each other. BTW - results for the entire meet are here - http://rtspt.com/events/usatf/masters-indoor11/

That's it for now. Thank you for all of your support. I'll follow up when it's over. Bubba

No comments:

Post a Comment