Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Things Happen for a Reason

People come into your life, go out, and sometimes come back in, and sometimes then they stay forever. We've all had these experiences and there always seems to be a reason, though it's not always apparent at the time. For the last three running sessions I have not been able to get in the shed due to construction/renovation to the press box above. Apparently this too has happened for a reason. Today, in my 3rd such running session, I found out that I am now well enough to not only get out of breath, but well enough to hurt something else other than my healing hamstring ding. I ran 8 X 100 and 8 X 50 and I felt really fast. Trying to stay within myself I quickly learned that I have no speed endurance. Almost all of my previous running has been with sleds or a pole or a hill so I can power away without fear of jerking a hamstring. Without those barriers to slow me down, my body now has to figure out how to handle my real speed and it's not doing a very good job. On the 4th 50m run I started feeling what could turn into a light strain on the inside back of my left leg. Not hamstring or groin, but from the tendon that comes up from behind the knee, the semimembranosis. Of course I did not let this develop further but it became sore enough that I ran the last three much slower. It is still sore tonight but certainly not injured. I remember flaring this up doing four step vaults at a high level and it was OK to vault again three days later; so I'm not concerned. Still, this shows me that things happen for a reason. What's funny is that this type of running was exactly what I was planning for the first four months of the off-season. Now I know its a weakness, I will continue with it now. That said, I would not have known about this chink in the armor had I not been able to get to my sleds, etc. So yes, things happen for a reason. Have a great evening and thank you for being here with me. Bubba PS - Happy birthday this past Sunday to my friend and fellow Woodlands PV Club vaulter, Gary Scheffe. Gary had the unfortunate timing to turn 55 and join the toughest age group in the world. Welcome Gary. It will be great to have you on the field with me in Sacramento at the World Championships.

No comments:

Post a Comment