Sunday, March 13, 2011

Survived the First Rotation

I always amazes me that with how much I train that I still get sore if I miss even one of my three day rotations. Of course I miss the last one before a big meet and the first one after a big meet so max I'm missing 6-7 days, yet I still feel beat up when I start back. I felt especially trashed last night after my running, bars, sled, pole drills day but woke up today feeling better.

I did an abbreviated first gym workout as a ramp up and everything felt good there. SO, now I will miss Monday's home lift, but will do Tuesdays running on Wednesday. Missing one workout is not bad considering I will be out of town the better part of three days. I hate to say it but it probably will do me good to let my body recover from the past three days.

I find it very effective to ramp up and ramp down when going through long training periods. I was going to jump in a meet on April 2, but now I'm thinking I should leave that alone and wait another two to three weeks before attempting to vault. Sure it sucks not to vault but I want to be sure I am 100% healthy because I will start right back on my meet pole series.

The great American vaulter, Mike Tully, (silver medal in 1984 Olympics) once told me his idea of rehab was go home with some beer and watch TV. Repeat daily until he was well enough to jump. I don't drink and I think I would go crazy if I didn't do anything, but again I'm not the athlete that Mike was.

I learned early on that any ding or injury is an open door to hitting the training harder than ever so you come back better than you left. Believe me, if I got 4th at nationals how do I do at worlds? Better get my butt to work. Have a great day and thanks for the support? Bubba

No comments:

Post a Comment