Sunday, October 17, 2010

13' (3.96m) From 8 Steps - Moving On

I felt OK warming up so I decided to take a few jumps. My legs were a little tight because I didn't stretch yesterday so I was really careful. I started at my 8 step run of about 44' 6" (15m) and made 12' (3.66m) and 12' 6" (3.81m) on first jumps on the 14' 1" (4.30m)/17.5. Went to the 17.2 and had a ton of height on 13' (3.96m) on the first jump but didn't quite get in enough so I came down on the bar. Jump two was better but I caught it a little with my left elbow on the way down. Left it up on jump three so I can now move on to 10 steps in practice. This ties my run PR and is a new pole PR. When I made 13' from this run the one time before it was on one pole bigger. I took a total of 5 jumps today and they all felt pretty good technically so I stopped.

The rationale is that if I can make 13' from 8 steps then I can be consistent from there at 12' 6", which I have been. It also means that I should be able to make 13' 6" from 10 steps (consistent at 13') , so I will stay there until I do or have good jumps. Last year I was consistent at 13' from 12 steps but have made it several times from 10 steps so I'm closing in on a new baseline.

They are forecasting rain for the Texas Senior Games on Sunday so we will see what happens. I'll train like I always do and see where that puts us. It is what it is but I am reminded about the reality of big meets. We always picture a beautiful day with great conditions but almost always the conditions are average to crappy (winds) and the weather is marginal. I can't remember getting to a big meet and finding really good conditions like we had last week. Maybe twice a year we will have really good conditions.

All of this said, the place I train, The Woodlands High School, is what I consider to be a very average place so I can easily duplicate or exceed my performances that I make there in practice. That's it for today so I hope you have a great one. As always, thank you for being here. Bubba

No comments:

Post a Comment