Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Crossroads

I enjoy finding myself at crossroads because it gives me a chance to rethink, refine and/or modify a plan I previously thought was perfect.  Of course it was perfect at the time but things change.  Actually I think this may be the part I enjoy the most; the intellectual challenge to coax an old body into new things. 

During this 13 days of not vaulting due to the minor hamstring ding I decided it is good to vault a little heavier and also made the conscious decision to start pushing my hand grip up when I return to vaulting.  I also made the decision to vault after only 13 days when there is really no good reason to do it other than I want to.  I know I risk re-injury but I figured I'm running slow enough so I can always stop if I start to feel something.  I've feel I have earned the right to have fun and give it a shot.

The result?  Today I completed 11 of 13 vaults from a very slow 4 step jog/run and easily cleared 10' (3.05m) with three very good attempts at 10' 6" (3.20m).   I could have moved up a pole and made it but that wasn't the point today.  The point was to use a tiny pole and have some fun while seeing if I could raise my grip and get some better technical control.  Mission accomplished as I felt nothing in my leg during my vaults or 8 hill/sleds.  I also had a great time playing with some technical issues.

I'll move up a little level on Saturday, miss next Tuesday because I will be out of town, and then resume my normal training.  Thank you for being here.  I truly appreciate the support!  Bubba

"Crossroads" with two of my favorite guitarists, Eric Clapton and John Mayer. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zh4n1bZi4d8

No comments:

Post a Comment