Friday, September 16, 2011

Frontside / Backside Timing - The Humpty Dance

Like everyone I have benchmarks and checkpoints that I use to keep me in striking distance of being able to jump well.  "Striking distance" for me usually means 4-8 weeks out from big jumps.  The benchmark for vaulting is 12' (3.66m) from six steps (33' / 10m) and for lifting it is 4 X 205 (93 kg) in bench.  I can't vault 13' (3.97m) or bench 225 unless I can pass through these mileposts.  It's like a dance up and over humps - The Humpty Dance (video below)

All of this said, there is a frontside and a back side.  Frontside - today was my first time since nationals to try and bench 4 X 205 and though I made it fine I did not command it. When I'm ready for a big meet it will be no big deal; almost easy - that is the backside.  The same for vaulting in that I can make 12' from six steps but I'm not on  big enough pole to BOOM it or make 12' 6" (3.81m).  So like my lifting I'm on the frontside of that benchmark as well.  Hill/sleds are the same as I can usually crank them out with just a walk back (backside) and now I'm making them but they ain't easy (frontside).

SO, I'm within striking distance of jumping well but I'm on the frontside of my benchmarks.  Considering that I am four months out from Reno and my technique is really improving, I think this is acceptable.  The objective is to get on the backside of old PRs.  The single age World Record for age 58 is 4m / 13' 1 1/2" and the American Record is 3.99m / 13' 1".  I did that easily this past season but, "what have you done for me lately?"  I'm working on it!!

Something funny about this blog is that while I'm training something strikes me that MUST be in the blog, but rarely makes it.  I simply forget.  Or as my dad says about age, "I have a good memory but it's just short".  Today a couple of fun songs jumped out at me and that kind of reflected my overall feelings of the day - fun and a little carefree even though I'm still getting in a hard session.  What could be better?  Have a great day! Bubba

The Humpty Dance - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cj9_yW8tZxs
B52s - Love Shack - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leohcvmf8kM

No comments:

Post a Comment