Friday, September 23, 2011

Strongman - or Boy?

After feeling useless yesterday, and knowing I'm vaulting tomorrow followed by vacation next week, I figured today would be a good time to do a strength test.  Huh?  Funny how when you grind away at training with no real focus toward raising the intensity, you seem to get stronger anyway.  For example, I was excited to bench 4 X 205 on a day a few weeks ago when I felt stronger than usual.  I had struggled to make it twice previous to that.  So why not try a strength test today, the day after I felt like total crap; a day when I only feel like partial crap?  Surprisingly I benched 245 lbs. (102.25kg) very easily.

I hope for the same result in my vaulting.  I'm making ZERO attempt to use big poles or longer runs though my grip is moving up.  I'm trying to fix and refine some technical things that will pay off in the long run.  If you can make a little pole lift you then a big pole can throw you.  I cover up too many problems by using bigger poles that come out before I can fall out of a position I should be able to hold.  Fun process anyway.

So the elephant in the room is that I have dreaded September because I am traveling every week of the month so my training is very hit and miss.  I absolutely HATE that and it will not happen again.  I especially hate the weight gain of the business and vaction meals.  Normally I can control my schedule but lots of new stuff needed follow up. That said, I'm thrilled that my strength test showed me at near record levels at the end of such a bad month.  Next month can only be better.  Have a great day and thanks for being here.  Bubba

BTW - Reno is only four months away.  I should be ready.  I've always told my kids that if you aren't ready to PR at Reno then you are behind for the season.  We will have to see how that goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment