Thursday, September 1, 2011

More Insanity - For Your Love?

Today I made a statement that sounds totally insane - "I'm actually kind of glad I got this hamstring ding because I was really worried how and when I was going to catch up on the quality running I have been missing.  Sure I'm vaulting well but how long until my running suffers?  I'm doing a lot of traveling this month so I would be missing some major training so I would be fresh to vault.  Now I can just train and then slowly ramp my vaulting back up."

OK - sounds crazy but it's true.  If I started running I would have to drop my vault level until my body caught up.  Now I can get ahead on training and add the vaulting back in.  It's almost like me being protected from me again. I get just enough of a ding to knock me out of what might have been a path to stagnation.  In any case I'm happy with where I am.  And exactly where is that?

I went out today and decided I would try and run 10 X 50m hill/sleds at 3-5%.  Turned out I could very easily go 7-10% so I think this thing is going to be well much sooner.  The ding is in the belly of the muscle which has the best blood supply and heals the fastest.  My problem earlier this year was near the tendon behind my knee and that takes quite a bit longer. 

At the 13 day mark I will begin vaulting at a very low level.  That usually progresses pretty fast.  Since I have three days short of four weeks before the 9/25 meet in Austin, I'm seriously considering jumping there on my 14' 1" (4.30m) poles.  In 2009 I did the same hammy ding thing, only worse, at national indoors and then jumped at Drake Relays barely a month later.  We will see but right now it is not off the calender as I declared yesterday.

I'm really enjoying my vaulting so a good hard month of running and training while I slowly ramp that back up should put me in a perfect position to begin to move forward.  I also like the ramp up through tiny poles trying to perfect little technical things.  So though I would rather not have an injury so matter how small, I see this one as a small blessing.  Have a great day.

Today I heard this song on my mp3 and loved it - "For Your Love" by The Yardbirds from 1965.  Enjoy!!  Bubba
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HU5zqidlxMQ

No comments:

Post a Comment