Friday, February 17, 2012

Advance Regret?

The red eyes of the "Demon Horse" outside of Denver's airport, where I will be Monday.

Tomorrow I'm jumping at an All Comers meet at Marina High School in Huntington Beach.  I'm 3-4 lbs. heavier than I was two weeks ago in San Diego and have not run a step since last Sunday. I did a little shake out today and that too was my first stretch since Monday.  I have had four days off from being swamped with work and I knew it would be this way this week and half of next.  I understand that tomorrow is a huge risk to my body but I am going to make it worse.  How and why?

Since I'm heavier I will only take my 14' 7" (4.45m) poles which means I'm starting on a bigger pole.  Hopefully this won't be an issue as I will start at 12 steps instead of 10.  I will run slower and just try to hit better positions.  Why am I risking this with only three weeks until California Senior Games?

After the last meet I found myself finessing poles rather than hitting them with a sustained hit.  I wasn't forcing my arms and body to deliver correct and constant pressure because the poles were too small.  Even worse, my left shoulder was sore from not getting the pole out in front of me at the plant.  I know for a fact that I can't get away with this on big poles, especially if I start on bigger poles.  So trial by fire!!  Intentionally!!

Too me this is a risk but more of a calculated one.  The only way I am assured of being hurt is if I try to get in by running hard.  If I back off my run 5%, square up my takeoff, and hit the positions 10% harder, the jump will actually be EASIER on my body.  So I will roll the dice and see what happens.  I'll tell you right now if I didn't have the extra momentum of 3-4 lbs. I would probably not try this.  But I am, I will and I hope I don't get hurt.  If I do I deserve it.  More soon.  Thanks for being here!  Bubba

Follow me on my "Highway to Hell" tomorrow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_5kv8QeBBc

No comments:

Post a Comment