Saturday, April 28, 2012

OUCH!! What I've Learned!

What a beautiful day to vault and I felt spectacular.  Made 12 (3.66m)', 12' 6" (3.81m), and 13' (3.97m) on consecutive jumps in warm up on my #2 14' 7" pole (15.8 on a 4.30m span).  I jumped that about 12:10 before the zoo got on the runway at 12:30.  As I began to get loose again before my first meet jump I noticed the underside of my LEFT groin was a little sore.  It's been the right one bothering me so I had no idea what this was.  As I continued to warm up I felt good running so I thought nothing of it.

I made 12' easy from 10 steps (5 lefts/strides) and moved up a pole for 12' 6".  I haven't been on this pole from this run since National Senior Games in June of last year.  As you can see I made it easy - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCMXTDRP9HA&feature=youtu.be and the pole was too small.  I moved to 12 steps and skipped a pole.  Just as I left the ground I felt a big grab in my left groin and aborted the jump and withdrew injured.  This is not a ding but a full strain that will take 6-8 weeks to heal.  That said I haven't been on this poles since March of last year so I was pumped that even though I bailed on the jump that the pole moved easily.

I'm sorry I'm hurt but this year is about learning what it takes for my body to step up a level.  My bigger poles need to feel smaller and they are.  A couple of weeks ago I had a logical discussion with myself about needing to run faster on my hills so I could condition my hamstrings to faster running.  That worked really well as I am clearly moving better on the runway.  Now that I have added squats and serious leg presses, by groins can't take the explosion of slamming my feet down to jump up.  First is was my right groin and now it's my left.  This means that as soon as I am well enough I'll add back in my lunges and bench steps ups.  The sad but funny part is I dropped these out because they were irritating my right groin to the point that I didn't think I can jump.  Now I can't jump because I DID NOT do them.  Lesson learned.

As bad as this sounds it is really a clear sign that I am inching toward my goal.  I'm on big poles again and my technique is clean, so the program is working.  The bad new yet good news is that my remaining weaknesses are stepping forward and now I can address them.  So far every similar adjustment has worked and made me better. 

This year is about next year.  Having already made 13' in January, it doesn't bother me that I'm not jumping higher because the level and quality of what I'm doing is far better than a year ago.  So now I can't jump for 6-8 weeks, I will continue to blast my body's weaknesses and continue to step up a level. 

Remember the single age 58 American Record is 13' 1" and the World Record is 4m (13' 1 1/2").  These are easily in my reach today but I'm going to get hurt until I learn what it takes to hold my body together at this next level.  Sure it's a misstep but at least what I'm doing is working.  Thanks for your support.  Bubba

No comments:

Post a Comment