Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Ready, Set, Start Over

Please click to enlarge - What you don't readily know about this photo is that it was taken a split second after I strained my groin.  So that look and reaction is pain, not aggressive determination.

I've made the decision to end this year where I am.  This week I moved the rest of our stuff from our Texas house which closes on May 10.  Yesterday I drove the final 18.5 hours straight after a mere 9 the day before.  Next week I am in Denver from Monday - Thursday.  Two weeks is how long I should leave the groin alone before slowly ramping up.  I will leave everything else alone too in order to start with a clean slate.

When this year started it was labeled a "train through" year as I get ready for the march up to next year's World Masters Games in Italy and World Masters Athletics in Brazil.  I turn 60 right before these so it will be my best chance to compete well within my age group.

So why stop now?  This year has also been about testing.  What does it take to ramp my body up to consistently train and jump at a higher level?  I ended in great physical shape and on very big poles relative to my run length.  I jumped 13' in Reno even though I had not attempted higher than 12'.  I got adjusted to a new place to live, to train, to go to the gym, a new work environment with new projects, etc.; and all on a hit or miss schedule.  I made only 12' 7 1/2" but I've made those 12' 6"+ jumps easily.  I never forced to use bigger poles but it just kept happening. If anything I didn't jump higher because I didn't get to poles soon enough in a meet before blowing through.

But the biggest reason I'm starting over now is because now I am perfectly set for any and all components and schedules to be successful for next year.  I don't want a continuation of trial and error; I want to start my program fresh and on a mission.  And so I will will.  Have a great day and much more will be revealed over these next two weeks.  Thanks for being here.  Bubba

Van Halen - "Man on a Mission" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBvxdqRL3NM

No comments:

Post a Comment