Saturday, May 12, 2012

Good Hard Day / Poles Are Home

Had my first gym lift today and intentionally decided to do my bars with no ankle weights to be sure my form was perfect and to have a little more quickness.  It didn't work.  It's funny because that's how vaulters hit poles - with just enough tension you think it will take to make them move.  I bet on bars today you could have put 50 lbs. on me and I would have done fine.  But take the weight away and I lower the expectation of the force I need and thus deliver less. HATE THAT!!!  You can kill a fly with a fly swatter or with a sledgehammer and I prefer the sledgehammer.  Hit the damn pole 10 times harder than you think you need to.  Hit it so hard that the impact doesn't slow down your hands.  So I was a little pissed at myself for lowering my effort expectation.  Other than that all other lifting went well, though I was weak on the leg press.

I went over to the school and saw that my poles had arrived back from Texas.  They were in the hallway in front of the coaches' office so I grabbed them and headed home.  It was a little tricky since I drive a Mercedes convertible (not know for being good at strapping stuff down) and did not have any bungees because I had no idea the poles were back.  I put it over the top and held on to the strap and drove real slow.  Any little wind or turn would make the back end start to slide.  It's only about 2 miles but it was a scary two miles as I could just see my poles sliding off onto the Pacific Coast Highway and being run over by the traffic.

I'll leave you with a song from Midnight Oil, "Beds Are Burning".  This song was in Jan Johnson's Sky Systems 2 and while it was playing it was showing the tons of off season training his guy/gals did.  That's about where I am so it seemed appropriate.  Have a good day and thanks for being here.  Bubba
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejorQVy3m8E&ob=av2e

No comments:

Post a Comment