Sunday, June 10, 2012

Poles Ready - Now Start Over



It's a long way to the top and today I start at the bottom. 

I did my first easy running today and it felt fine but strange.  I have run hills and sleds for so long that running on my own on flat ground felt foreign, but I think it's time to go back to basics and ramp back up.  Of course no sooner than I thought that than I saw a video of Brad Walker running sleds at the Olympic Training Center.  Of course he has the Olympic Trials in Two weeks. 

In fact, in two weeks I turn 59 which is a HUGE reminder that I have a busy year ahead if I want to advance my running levels enough to grip the 13' 10" (4.22m) I have taped on the biggest pole.  I remember just before Jeff Hartwig really broke out we talked and he had just finished a long stretch of power lifting and sled running.  He had a sled he called a dragster that had bungees that pulled him down while the weight also held him back.  He told me at that time he was transitioning to speed.  So here I go.  Today is speed and tomorrow is speed endurance followed by bike on the 3rd day - now repeat.  And lift on those days as well.
The new poles are taped and ready.  So I need to be.
They are 14' 1 1/4" (4.30m) 165 (75kg) to 187 (85kg) grips taped from 12' 8" (3.76m) to 13' 10" (4.22m).  BTW - I cut them off 2" (5cm) above my max grip so they don't hit the bar as I jump with my standards all of the way back.  Have a great day and thanks for being here.  Bubba

AC/DC - "It's a Long Way to the Top (If You Want to Rock & Roll)" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1iR2Wi3u5o

No comments:

Post a Comment