Sunday, March 9, 2014

Bo Knows!!

I remember several years ago reading about Bo Jackson, then at the height of his career, speaking to an elderly group of people in Birmingham, Alabama.  His message was that their perceived level of exertion was no different than his.  He is just conditioned to withstand it longer.  So for them to get up out of a chair and walk across the room, to them, was as hard as his lifting workout.  This gave perspective and hope to these people and I became a fan of Bo Jackson, "the person", as well as admired him as an athlete.

He went on to say that sometimes it takes 100% of his effort to hit a mark or weight that is only 70% of his best.  In other words, some days the work is harder and you need to adjust your expectations of reasonable effort or you are going to always be hurt.

I took this information and decided that each day, as I was just getting going in my workout, that I would simply see how I was doing and then either assign a "I" (Intensity), or a "Q" for quality to the goals for the day.  Today was my 4th consecutive day of hardcore training so I set it up as a "Q", because it would take 100% of my effort to reach 80% of my best. 

Considering I have seven more consecutive days before I leave town and get a break again, I have a feeling I will see a lot of "Q"s.  Have a great day and thanks for being here!  Bubba

Van Halen - "Mean Street" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDqhPg5f7Ac

No comments:

Post a Comment