Sunday, July 18, 2010

BIG Marks Going Up

Charlie Brown set a new M55 American Record on Friday with a jump of 14' 3 1/4" (4.35m). As stated many times, with the new group of young guys coming in, it will take 14' to get a medal next year at Worlds and I have set up my training accordingly. I fully expect to be over 4.30m (14' 1 1/4") sometime next year myself should I remain remotely healthy. Training, grips, poles, etc., have all be set up to achieve 14' 6" (4.42m) so we will see what happens. Better technique, better body and two more strides (4 steps) on to my run should make a difference.

THEN, my great friend John Altendorf sent me a video of him BOOMING 13' (3.96m) in Eugene on Thursday - http://www.johnaltendorf.com/polevaulting/john/2010/07-15_OTC_All-comers/13-0_O_9808.mov

Thrilled for John, but almost more excited at the prospect that he clears 13' next year when he turns 65. He is already the only man in history over 60 to clear 13' or 4m (13' 1 1/2"), so to do it at 65 would be really unbelievable. I'm also taking him to do it when he's 70. Why? He jumped the highest ever THIS year at 64.

Alaskan cruise one week from today!! Have a wonderful Sunday and thanks for your interest! Bubba

PS - Two trampoline days and one vault day and there is no sign of forearm or hip/nerve pain. Dr. Martin was right; it's well, now go loosen it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment