Thursday, July 22, 2010

The Good, The Bad & The Ugly

Yep, had it all today. I didn't feel very fresh but I know that Saturday will be worse since I have trampoline tomorrow; hence today was the day to see where I am at 2 steps. Good - Started on the cut 1362 and my technique was very good as I almost made 10' (3.05m) on it which would be a pole PR. BAD - I started to finesse because I knew the pole was too small and THAT screwed up my timing.

Bad - Moved to the 12' 6"/165 and made 10' easy but it was too small at 10' 6" (3.20m), again. Tried to force my arms and then blew through the pole. Forcing positions is not natural. Change the pole, not the jump.

Good/Bad - Moved to the 13' 1"/165 and overpowered it and compressed it rather than rolled it. Had two very close at 10' 6" which would tie my run PR. I have only made 10' 6" once from 2 steps and today had lots of height. Again, I forced positions and my technique broke down. Sucks! The good news ia that I've never been on that pole from that run.

UGLY - When I most needed to stay upright and force my hands over the top with a straight body, I fell away and pulled my knees in. When I needed to maintain what I was doing well, I started finessing so I wouldn't blow through the pole.

NOW - these are natural tendencies but I won't move to the next level if I don't challenge myself to jump better when the bar goes up. It starts right now. I did make good adjustments in general but some were merely reverting back to trying to over power the pole rather than working with it.

I'm not a guy that believes in 7 attempts with everything the same. Like a meet, I have only three attempts to make something happen or I change something - move up a pole, a grip, back a stride, etc. Too many guys make a bar on the 10th attempt in practice and then are shocked they can't make it in a meet with only three attempts. So the rule is three misses and move on.

That's it for today. Mildly pleased but disappointed in my lack of ability to dial in rather than try to get away with blasting the pole. That may work sometimes on a big one but it just makes a small one mush out more. Have a great day and thanks for being here! Bubba

No comments:

Post a Comment