Saturday, July 3, 2010

Reality

I saw that for Nationals that my friend Charlie Brown (yes, that's his real name) just turned 55 and has a mark this year of 4.30m (14' 1 1/4"). In January Gary Hunter will turn 55 and I believe next year that Bill Halverson also turns 55. So right there are three guys at 14' (4.27m) or higher this year that will be 55 before Worlds. You also have me, Kirk Bentz, Ralph Haynie and Murray Mead all over between 13' 5 1/4" (4.10m) to 4.13m (13' 6 1/2") so any of us can get to 14'. So there will be seven guys at or above 14' next year. The shock is that right now the American Record is 4.13m (13' 6 1/2") yet we should all be over that next year and that is just the Americans. The reality is that it may very well take a 14' jump to get a medal next year at Worlds. I'm fine with that. Sacramento is a hot and dusty with swirly winds so it's unlikely to PR there. That said I need to jump high at average places all next year.

Saying you are aiming to jump a height and making it are very different things. I know that by DJ's chart, with my efficiency, if I can consistently grip 13' 9" (4.20m) I will vault 14' 6" (4.42m), so that's the goal. If that happens then I should be able to call up a 4.30m (14' 1 1/4") jump when needed.

Last year I gripped 13' 3" (4.05m) from only 12 steps and the pole was too small. I have no problem moving my grip up but I want to progress to that with my technique in tact rather then just jacking it up and then trying to figure out the timing there. I'll begin by pushing my grip early, even from my two step I will see how high I can grip and what pole I can get on. This should position me perfectly for the 14' 7" (4.45m) poles with the 15' 1" (4.60m) sailpieces by 10 or 12 steps, while I expect to compete from 14.

Sure, this is far away but the planning is now and always being adjusted. Have a great day and thank you for you support and interest! Bubba

No comments:

Post a Comment