Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Mental Patience

I've always felt like "core training" was for people in the gym who didn't really want to work out. I have always felt my core is strong because of all I can do as far as trunk control on bars etc. But yesterday Sakina told me that my lower back fatigues and I loose my hip posture and that's how I get in dangerous situations. So I have really been trying to focus on every move to make sure I have my hips in the right place and my trunk tightened before, during and after all exercises. It's funny because I can feel it "shut off". Then I get it back and my range of motion and strength through it is much better.

SO, mental patience is the name of the game for me and I can already tell my body is picking it up. The way Sakina, with her masters in physical therapy describes it, yes I have upgraded my whole body except for the hinge/support points. Fortunately she says it becomes pretty automatic after about four weeks and this is week two with four weeks left to jump.

Speaking of the "core training" I see going on in the gym, I also notice that everyone has a water bottle yet I'm three hours in the hot sun and never thirsty. I also read that the average new gym person has to overcome 2,400 calories just in pre-workout, during workout and post workout drinks and snacks. The bad news is they then feel like they can eat more because they worked out. More power to them!! I bring this up because I train my butt off and still have to watch my weight and I don't do any of that stuff. Life's not fair, I know. ;-)

LOVING the training. Very nice to be back on six days a week training with all components in play except for vaulting. In a year I should be in the best shape of my life. If not, I only have myself to blame. Have a great day! Bubba

PS - Just finished reading, "Just Don't Fall" by Josh Sundquist. He lost his leg to cancer at 10, went through a year of chemo, and then decided he must be a ski racer in the Paralympics in order to earn a USA uniform. He makes it but what a ride! Highly recommend this book!!

No comments:

Post a Comment