Friday, August 6, 2010

Back to Garage Lifting

Kris and I briefly considered JUST vaulting for awhile but decided that would be too much strength and speed training lost. So back to the hot garage for lifting today. I'm feeling very good but again I just restarted and I'm taking it on a fairly easy ramp up. I've got 11 months of this grind so it's more important to be focused and deliberate than to try and PR on lifting every day.

Every year about this time when I start my August grind I always focus on the big meets coming the next year as that gives me the sense of purpose to get through hard training when most guys are taking a break. What's funny is that by the time those meets actually arrive I have done so much more that looking back on these days feels irrelevant. I'll just keep that a secret from myself for right now so I can continue to crawl slowly down the planned path.

As a vaulter you want to grab the next pole, move the run back and clear something respectable. The problem with that thinking is that I already know what I can jump on every pole from every run, so what's the point? My time would be better spent trying to get everything I can out of the smaller poles from the shorter runs so that I can jump even higher when I get back to the longer runs and bigger poles. If things continue how they have started I will be on much bigger poles by then.

I'm going to vault with Kris on Thursday, 8/19 for the purpose of picking up and trying to jump on the two new smaller 14' 7" (4.45m) poles. It won't matter what run or grip I use, just that I see what they feel like as those will become my meet start poles. It also won;t matter if I can't get in enough to go at a bar. Just feel the poles at every grip starting at 2 steps and probably ending at 12-14 in flats. Jog in with rhythm and hit the pole. Looking forward to it.

Have a great day and many thanks for hanging out here with me. Bubba

PS - Pole costs? I'm asked this fairly often. For these two poles I got a deal at $957 including shipping.

No comments:

Post a Comment