Sunday, August 15, 2010

Getting Comfortable With the Uncomfortable

What I tell every kid is that in order to progress in the pole vault you must get comfortable with the uncomfortable as soon as possible, and then get on to the next uncomfortable, because there are a whole big line of them waiting on you.

Today I again did not feel good but at least my legs and back didn't feel tight. This may have turned out to be a blessing in disguise because I couldn't readily blow through my 4m/13'1" poles as fast as the last practice. The plan was to stay at 6 steps/34'/10m. Two great jumps over 12' 6" (3.81m) on my 14.3 and good hip height on 13' (3.97m) on my biggest 4m pole, the 13.5 but couldn't leave it up. Surprising since it was too small on my make at 12' 6" on Thursday. I guess I wasn't running well enough to make it too small. That said, the pole was mush at 13' as I WAITED and WAITED during the extension with no thrust off the top. So GREAT!! Getting comfortable with the uncomfortable. That's the end of my days on the 4m/13'1" poles as now I will move on to my 4.30m/14' 1" poles when I see Kris on Thursday. If I can move the right pole I can jump 13' from 6 steps, so that's the mission. Otherwise I haven't carried over the efficiency.

I'll warm up and try to jump on them from 6 steps, but if I'm not in after three attempts I'll move back a stride to 8 steps. Considering my biggest 4m is bigger than my smallest 4.30, I should be able to make this work. I'd love to get 13' from 6 steps so I will push that each day as my warm up until it happens.

The math is simple - 13' from 6 steps = 13' 6" (4.12m) from 8 steps = 14' (4.27m) from 10 steps etc., until I get to 16 steps. So far so good. Beat up from all of the training components but I'll settle in over the next couple of weeks. Have a great Sunday and thanks for supporting me!! Bubba

No comments:

Post a Comment