Monday, August 23, 2010

The Contradiction of Instinct

As Dean pointed out yesterday, I am intensely focused on the trees and need to make sure I don't lose sight of the forest. Of course I totally agree and that's what we do - whole, part, whole - look at the event and training as a whole, break it down, and put it back together to be better. If pieces don't produce a better end result, you drop them.

So much of what we do is instinct based on listening to the body. Hence, I ran 10 sled/hills (@ 10%) and lifted legs this morning as well as did my complete stretching. I could not run fast, nor did I think I would be able to, but I felt if I sat I might have a little grab or catch in the spot where I got the little strain. It did feel much looser when I got done and stretching did not hurt at all. Actually I felt it more getting up and down off the floor.

The other reason I went today was to avoid becoming deconditioned right when I was starting to get in good shape. All of that said, the TRUE reason that tipped the scale to going out is that I found out over the weekend that I have to go to San Francisco on 9/9-11 and will miss that training rotation. Missing this week and that rotation is just too much with a meet on 9/25.

Today was against my instincts of yesterday but today it felt like the right thing to do. This is totally a "feeling" and nothing to do with a plan. A little voice just says, "you know what, you really should get that thing moving a little bit". So I go. Have a great day! Bubba

No comments:

Post a Comment