Sunday, August 8, 2010

Reason for Optimism

I felt fairly flat warming up, as expected, since this was my first week back to the full training load of running, lifting, vaulting, bars, etc. The plan was to stay on my smallest pole at 4 steps(23'/6.5m), the 4m/13'1/167/16.3, but after I made 11'' (3.35m) I knew it was going to be too small. I was fairly hit and miss on my technique and then at 11' 6" (3.51m) on the 4m/171.6/15.9 I hit a really good pocket and went pretty much straight up the pole.

Again I knew that pole would be too small for 12' (3.66m) so I moved up to the 15.5. Had a good jump but it was too small. I made the decision to try and go to the 176.8/15.0 and made it on the first jump but IT TOO felt a little small. I'm really in uncharted territory now because I have never even been on the 15.5 from 4 steps until six days ago and now that and the 15.0 are too small. I decided to stay at 12' and try the 14.7, a pretty big stiffness jump. Made it again even easier so I decided to quit while I was ahead.

I went ahead and did the rest of my running, bars and lifting with a sense of optimism I haven't felt in some time. I knew at some point that all of the running and lifting I did this year for the months that I couldn't jump would pay off but this is clearly another level. The again, does it matter how fast and strong you are with a 4 step run? probably not.

I had just told Nancy the day before that if I wanted to really break through I would have to stick the the shorter run and clean up my technique rather than moving on just to clear higher bars. Today I was rewarded so therefore I will continue to challenge myself from 4 steps until I got to see Kris a week from Thursday where I will try to go from 6 steps.

Have a great Sunday and thanks for the support. Bubba

No comments:

Post a Comment