Monday, August 16, 2010

Good News

Fortunately we guessed right about the cause of that little knee/calf irritation as it is basically nonexistent today, even though I vaulted yesterday. Apparently that tendon that causes quick pronation when you blast out of sprint type starts wasn't ready for so much so soon. Last week I was really concerned that I may lose a week or more if it bothered me jumping yesterday, but today I can't even feel it.

The plan is to jump on 14' 1" (4.30m) poles from 6 steps with Kris on Thursday, skip Sunday's vault rotation (still lift/bars) and then start back Thursday. That will give me another week to make sure that it has totally died down so I can start running again.

HOT day in the old garage. A couple of days ago the newspaper ran an article about how we have yet to get over 100 degrees. YEP, very next day was 101. Of course if it rains it cools off but comes back more humid. Oil well as they say in Texas.

Yesterday I was talking about getting comfortable with the uncomfortable. It reminded me of conversations I used to have with my great friend, Australia's Simon Arkell (5.80m/19' 1/4"). He would say that in order to learn the right positions that you had to scare yourself. The standards are all the way back so it's not like you aren't going to be in the middle of the pit so GO FOR IT!! He would say, "if you think you are going to die then aren't even close to being in the right position. It's when you KNOW you're going to die that you are getting close." Sure enough, I feel totally vertical over the box yet still hit the bar on the way up. Coming to grips with where you actually are and where you think you are makes all of the difference in the world.

Have a great day and thanks for you support! Bubba

No comments:

Post a Comment