Sunday, August 29, 2010

Let's Talk Snow

Seems a strange topic in this Texas summer weather, but I like to say that every avalanche began as a snowflake. The great Australian coach and author, Alan Launder, says "that which is technically desirable must be physically possible". The former head of USA Track & Field Pole Vault Development, Bob Fraley says, "once you know how to vault, 70% of your improvement is how fast and strong you can get". I believe that you constantly work your technique while you are working your speed and strength. That way they both come together and you can become an avalanche.

Our little girl, Kara, who just started 9th grade this past week and jumped 10' this summer, has not even become a snowball yet, as far as her athletic development for the pole vault. She lifted weights for the first time last week and feels beat up as should be expected. She sometimes tells me that she doesn't feel like she has the strength to hit a bigger pole. That is part true but the more important part is that if she hit it before it hit her she would immediately be "much stronger". Let's say she is the ear of a snowman, maybe even a big ear. Not a snowflake but a small snowball gaining momentum.

Momentum? Business, training and life is about gaining momentum. I believe that the more momentum you gain, the harder you should work to keep it going. I described my idea of momentum to Nancy the other day as a child on a swing and his/her feet can't touch the ground. Try as they might, very little progress is made to get that swing moving. Once it starts it is a little easier to keep it going and even to gain more momentum, but if they stop to rest they are back where the started and the struggle begins anew. That's why masters athletes can't take time off. It's said that a person at 60 will lose over 40% of their strength with a six week break. Get back on the swing buddy, you blew it. It's easier to do SOMETHING just to maintain rather than start over every year.

Max will be a sophomore and has been with us since the 5th grade. He was stuck for the longest time because his body had not grown yet. Now he's over 6' tall and the proper technique he learned early on is starting to magnify as his tools increase. He will become the body of a snowman this year and then progress well from there. Like Kara, he comes from a great and supportive family and is very focused and determined.

Jillian is a senior and made it to our regional meet last year. She is a little snowwoman. She has a winner's attitude and excels at everything she tries. Being about 5' 3" could limit her but I won't tell her that because she will do her best to prove me wrong.

When they leave us, it becomes someone elses job to take them from snowman to avalanche. I love building snowmen and snowwomen! These kids are a joy to be around and I love watching them discover the finer points of the event. When I used to build avalanches I never thought I would enjoy this part so much. The more I think about it, the more I wish the kids would have come to me with the skills they are leaving us with. Would have been much easier.

Me? I'm the snowman you built on a snowy day when everyone was having fun playing. A few days later I'm falling a part, melting in places and don't look at all like myself. I'm starting to get that dirty gray and brown look as my athletic life cycle nears the end. THEN, a new snow storm comes in and covers up some of my flaws. I'll never be an avalanche again but neither will the guys I compete with. In my mind, I can train hard and smart enough for long enough to remain respectable. At our age, that is as close to an avalanche as you get. Have great day! Bubba

PS - Went over 16 million pounds lifted since my return on 1/1/2005;
16,006,658 & 10,724 bar drills.

No comments:

Post a Comment