Monday, August 30, 2010

Transitions

Of course, all of life is about transitions, but training requires constant monitoring. I felt like I could have jumped at a low level yesterday but I chose not to. Very good overall workouts yesterday and today. Today's transition feels familiar but strange in that I still feel like crap from the ramp up to lifting but the strength is coming back. Feel like crap but strong means that soon it will be "feel good AND stronger". It will be nice to complete this ramp up cycle. If you remember I dropped my lifting for the most part after the cruise so I could get back into jumping. I'll have one full week and then I'll miss a rotation while I'm in San Francisco on business. Get back and two weeks later have a little meet to jump in. Transitions.

Got a lot of response to the snowflake to avalanche yesterday. Seems people could relate on a lot of levels. One mentioned that my best guy avalanche jumped 18' 10 1/2" (5.75m) and he was only 5' 8". An argument for Jillian at 5' 3". I only mention this because it keeps me going that you guys are here and supporting my efforts.

This will be the hardest year I have ever trained and I have the least chance of placing high at Worlds next year. I'll be near the oldest and several athletes have jumped higher already than me. Believe it or not, it's a challenge to make something happen when the deck is stacked against me. Because that will make it a bit easier when in 2013 I will repeat the same hardcore ramp up for Worlds and the World Masters Games that summer when I will have just turned 60 to be the youngest in my group. Try as might, if I get in the top five next year I'll be thrilled, but watch out in 2013. If I can force myself through the challenge of this year when I'm really an also ran, then I will be pumped for Brazil and Italy in 2013. Consider this base training for then.

Hard to stick to the plan sometimes but this is about transitions. When I start jumping the first thing I want to do is get my run back and start moving through poles. It's not even September so there are over 10 months left to the big meets - CHILL and stick to the plan. The run will move back soon enough. Every year except the last two I have always run from 14 and sometimes 16, so it's not like it's new to me. But it is URGENT that I carry my current technical efficiency with me or I'm not ready. I have cleared 12' (3.65m) from 4 steps and 12' 6" (3.81m) from 6 steps and so far 12' 9" (3.90m) from 8 steps. What sense does it make for me to move back to 12 steps and start at anything lower than 13' (3.97m)? But I'm not ready to start there and either is my body. But it will within the next few months. Until then, stick to the plan.

That''s my rambling for today. Hope you have a great one and thanks for hanging around with me! Bubba

No comments:

Post a Comment