Friday, August 20, 2010

The Day After

WELL, it's the day after and I still call the hamstring a 2.5 to 3. No big deal but I'll stick to the plan to give it the week off. It's been three weeks since I started vaulting after my cruise and I've gone from a 10' (3.05m) 2 step off season best to 12' 9" (3.90m) by a foot (30 cm) from 8 steps, so I'll take that.

To be able to jump at a high level every day, instead of occasionally, requires me to be in "vault shape", so I will do that over the next four weeks. I typically go very hard for three weeks and back off for a week anyway so this fits in to my plan. It's also why I scheduled going to Kris on the last day of the three week cycle.

A word about expectations. Yesterday two of our best young vaulters went with me to Kris' place. He had three kids there working out, all who had made it to the Texas State Meet the year before. They were not vaulting, but working out. They vault MWF and train TTH/Sat. In Texas, only the top 8 vaulters per class (1A, 2A, 3A, 4A, 5A) make it to state yet there we three of his there. As a group we were impressed. But at lunch when I pointed this out, Kris told me how disappointed they were to have gotten 2nd place. Who do you want to be or train with? The person thrilled to be one of 8 in a huge state, or the person who is on a mission for next year because they got 2nd? I'm latching on to the latter and hoping they help drag me up a notch.

Have a great day and thanks for being here. Bubba

PS - Just got back from the track dropping off poles and I can jog pretty fast and feel nothing in my hamstring. This leads me to believe it was more of a dehydration cramp and not a strain. Therefore I will start sled tomorrow and do my regular lifting but no jumping for two weeks as a precaution.

No comments:

Post a Comment