Saturday, May 7, 2011

From Half Assed to Assed

OK - I ended this morning's practice feeling like crap. A full effort but a half assed result. Why? I'm pretty much all healed so therefore my lack of running conditioning jumped on my back severely making me stop with two sprint drills (big pole + ankle weights) and 4 X 50 sled/hills left. Granted I was able to run considerably faster and felt much more powerful, but when that energy drain started I turned to mush.

I did all of my big pole drops and did box take offs into a 50 lb REAL plant box on the dirt. You hit that wrong and you're flat on your back. That said, I was somewhat dizzy, nauseous and out of breath. I felt as much like a wimp as I have in months and I went home super discouraged.

I went to lunch and drank about a gallon of iced tea and then made a decision that would prove either stupid or brilliant; I decided to go back out and vault. HUH? Dumbass!!! My reasoning was that I can jump on a tiny pole at two weeks after a hamstring strain and I've had four weeks since this inside leg strain. My goal this morning was only to take off from 2, 4 and 6 steps anyway so what could it hurt. I could either do it or I couldn't.  Besides, I had found a quarter and three "pennies from heaven" right under my feet when I opened the car door at the track.

I could. I blew through a few poles and ended up making 11' (3.35M) jogging in from only 6 steps from 31' (9.7m). Though my legs were dead from this morning's efforts, I felt nothing in the way of pain or injury in any part of my body. My technique was very good considering I haven't vaulted in two months, a result of tons of plant drills and lots of bar work. Thrilled about that. I've turned the corner and I'm ready to go.

I'll do nothing this week but stretch, bars and jump, getting three vault days in seven. Tuesday I will try and get through my 4m/13' 1" poles and Saturday I'll get through my 4.30m/14' 1" poles. That will give me a two week ramp up to my meet on 5/28 in Coppell near Dallas/Fort Worth.

I HATED the "half assed part" of the day but will settle for the "assed" part. Have a great day and thanks for your support. Bubba

PS - So this in my mind is day one to the march up and as Republica says, "Shout it from the rooftops, baby I'm ready to go!!" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgffRW1fKDk  I used to play this right before I went on to the filed at big meets.  Now it's ACDC "For Those About to Rock (We Salute You)" - a salute to all of us who have trained our asses off to be there - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZ0zP3U_iE0&feature=related

No comments:

Post a Comment