Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Mind vs. Body

I'm in a very odd place right now.  When I went out to run this morning I felt powerful as a bull and as graceful as a gazelle.  The reality is that I am aging, and almost 58 year old athlete trying to get and hold my body together for a couple of very big shows.  It's a constant battle right now to temper this new body with the fact that I am still technically rehabbing the inside of my leg.  I get ready to pick up the pace on one of my 10 X 100m runs and there it is - not a pain but a little tiny tightness that at first whispers, "remember me?"  If I ignore it I will again be reminded to back off as it speaks; "I will STOP you NOW and your healing clock will begin again and you don't have the luxury of that kind of time".  Then it let me run 10 X 50m sleds at 50% feeling nothing.  I don't get it but I listen.

I saw the Matt Lauer interview with Steven Tyler of Aersosmith and his new book is called, "Do the Voices in My Head Bother You?"  So as a tribute to the voices in his head and mine, I offer one of my favorite and most meaningful Aerosmith songs ever, Dream On, which I also just learned on guitar - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6Qd9VR1gD8

And as a salute to my infuriating mind vs. body battle, I offer Metallica's Sad But True.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8MO7fkZc5o

All songs I suggest come up on my MP3 during training the day I post them.  Have a great day!  Bubba

No comments:

Post a Comment