Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Adaptability - My World

I used to say that no matter where you put me in the world that I could not only survive but that I would find a way to thrive.  In 2001 I got to do just that and it sucked the life out of me.  Yes I accomplished it but it was much harder than I thought it would be and most of the change was senseless just to prove I could.  To who?  I sure don't know.  I was a dumbass!!  I guess that conditioned me to be a little more careful in some areas so I've become a bit of a weakling.

Example - just a week ago I was bitching about the gym.  A few days ago I decided it is my only option because the weight equipment won't clear my garage door and I'm not parking a Mercedes convertible on the driveway so my weights fit in the garage. I lectured myself about being a wuss and reminded me that many places we go to vault have less than optimal facilities or conditions yet we must adapt.  With this mindset I went to the gym and asked a simple question, "What is most important for me to get done here today?"  LEGS!!  So I started there and worked through and had a great workout.

Next I go to the track an Dana Hills High School.  A great artificial turf with no mud and a little padding.  Not only do they have steep bleachers but they have two ramped up walkways with different angles that I can work into a hill run.  There are 60 single steps on the bleachers and 30 double spaced steps.  I'm not strong enough or conditioned to run those doubles well yet.  THAT thrills me because I know when I can I will be ready to jump high.

My point today is that I preach adaptability and being open to change and learning because I truly believe I am.  Yet I whined like a brat that all of my training components were different.  Once I embraced the goodness of my situation I found that everything I will do here will require me to be a better athlete.  I LOVE THAT!

SO, today's song is Ten Years After, "I'd Love to Change the World", even if it's just my world.  I made a big step toward that today.  Thanks for being here!  Bubba
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzrUqAtUcpU

No comments:

Post a Comment