Monday, December 19, 2011

Lucky Day - Going Home!!

It's hard to believe that I am already settling in to my new life of work and play in Southern California.  I'm here for business and the lifestyle but my training keeps me sane and driven.  I'm excited to get to vault soon, but today my focus is orientation.  Fortunately I'm in a period where I have a little leeway with the holidays.

I see that I now have 777 posts on this blog so this must be my lucky day.  My first Monday back in California found me in the gym figuring out what equipment was were, etc.  Of course even though it is 24 Hour Fitness things aren't identical.  Actually the high P-bar I use to swing up on is better because it is a little higher and sticks out further so I can extend past vertical.  It's more crowded but that may just be because school is out and I was late. Like everything here there is an ocean view which is pretty cool.  It felt weird eating BBQ at a place with a huge view too.  Oh well.

I was born and raised in Texas but I was destined for California as a young kid.  I loved the Beach Boys, surfing, beachwear, the beach scene, etc.  I drew surfboards and surfers on waves on my notebook in 7th grade, etc. All of the the really good and cool vaulters seemed to come from there as well.  After a particularly hot summer in Texas in 1978 I visited on Thursday - Sunday in October, went home Monday and got my stuff and moved out on Wednesday.  I love Texas but returning to California, where I lived for 24 years, seems like I'm going home.  For that I offer Alvin Lee and Ten Years After from Woodstock in 1969 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZ26GB6BFjY

1969 was a big year in the world for me as a young vaulter.  Besides sneaking in to see Woodstock I got my first 13' (3.97m) vault.  Little did I know at that time that on January 2, 2010, at 57 years old that I would vault 13' 1" (3.99m) to give me at least one 13' vault in SIX decades.  Yep, got at least one in the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, 00s, and 10's.  I'm grateful and somewhat amazed.  Here is the video of that first 2010 vault in Belton, Texas - http://www.bubbapv.com/Images/Movs/13-1.MOV

Though I can't be there in person for the next Belton meet, I will be there in spirit.  Founder and meet promoter Jack Chapman sent me my number. Notice at the bottom that it has a quote I gave him that I always tell my kids.  ALL participants will have this on their number.  I can't think of a nicer honor.  Great guy and great event - http://www.texaselitepolevault.com/  Thank you sir!!  Sorry but I don't know how to turn the photo as it looks normal when viewed separately.

I'm extremely excited for this new adventure. Thank you for being here with me!!  Bubba

No comments:

Post a Comment