Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Return to the Sky Thursday!!

“When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return.” Leonardo Di Vinci

Since before I returned back to Southern California, I have been in contact with people and places that I may vault.  Holidays being what they are, the opportunities are limited.  Enter masters vaulter, Dan Cassidy, who has been kind enough to allow me to jump with his kids at a local high school on Thursday.  I will of course take it super easy but I can't wait to get out there and fart around a little.  I'll only jump from 4 steps or maybe 6 and if I make 11' (3.35m) I will be thrilled.  The ONLY goal is not to get hurt yet shake out the cobwebs.

Work is hectic as I knew it would be.  Getting back into training is hard when you're getting into a new routine.  I don't like this transition period but it's needed.  As I have always said, "Impatience means that you have no confidence in your plan.  So take your time and do it right".  Amen!

Next Wednesday I am getting together with former Hungarian National Champ, Pete Kovacs and his wife and child for lunch.  I first met Pete when he came to one of our physical therapy clinics with a hamstring injury.  Since he was 6' 4" in high school and had a hammy ding, I thought WOW!!  Turned out that in a race against a pregnant lady he would come in 3rd - SLOW!!  He spent the next four years with me at UC Irvine and proved that hard work and dedication do in fact trump God given talent.  His mental toughness was also outstanding as he won the Hungarian national meet in the rain as an unranked vaulter.  One of my favorite people in the world.

The weather has been great and each sunset is different.  Today I got my first tank of gas and drove home from my meetings in Beverly Hills.  I have said I won't feel like I live here again until I drive home from work and get gas.  Simple tests of reality.  Vaulting, training and working on a regular schedule will be like heaven.  Can't wait.

Hope you have a great day and thank you for following my journey!  Bubba
Today's selection is "My Kind of Girl" by Chickenfoot - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-cZcYwnEXw&feature=fvst

No comments:

Post a Comment