Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Free Falling - Been in That Jungle Before

One wrong step?
While I was in California things kept stacking up for me to get done before I leave town on our move / drive a week from today.  As those things added up I saw only a few places I could workout.  Strangely, that's OK with me.  Here's the story that says it is OK to do NOTHING for 10 days, if I choose that.

In 2009 at nationals in Oshkosh, I got a light groin strain almost exactly like I have now.  It was a tiny ding so I kept screwing around with it.  The result?  Four weeks later at the National Senior Games at Stanford University in Palo Alto, California I was forced to watch.  HATE THAT!!  I didn't dress, take my poles, NOTHING!!  Forced vacation because I was stupid.  I MADE myself do NOTHING on that 10 trip.  Why?  Eight weeks from my return I would be vaulting in Sydney, Australia in the World Masters Games.  Like Stanford, the trip was paid for and I was going.  Unlike Palo Alto I was not going to risk watching.  I knew that ONE wrong step and I was back to square one or worse.  I learned that lesson and won the biggest meet of my life.

SO, I'll take this time off and let my leg heal.  After Stanford and that 10 rest I made really fast progress.  I need to make myself do the same.  Why?  Besides the obvious, being sick of not jumping because of my own stupidity, in eight weeks I have the National Pole Vault Summit in Reno.  I have no intention of watching there.  Lessons learned.  Have a great evening and thanks for being here.  Bubba

Jungle Boogie - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vl7Bk364UdY

No comments:

Post a Comment